Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Introducing Symbolism- A Victorian Obsession

As I had researched previously, the Victorians were obsessed with symbolism- they saw that giving flowers meant alot more than just a simple gesture and gift...it reflected something upon them. There are numerous websites dedicated to this and a posted something about this earlier in the blog. I decided that it would be interesting to start incoporating some of these ideas within my work and this would allow me to introduce some new imagery. I decided to focus on just a few of the following flowers and their meanings...
Oxeye Daisy= Patience
Pear Blossom= Friendship
Pink Roses= Grace and Elegance
Magnolia= Love of Nature
Lilly= Aspirations and Hope
Buttercup= Riches
Thistle= Nobility
Thyme= Thriftness
Lavender= Love at First Sight
Forget-me-Not= True Love
Yellow Roses= Jealousy/Infedelity

I began to think of imagery associated with the meanings trying to think of as many things associated with it as possible, this helped me to introduce new and exciting imagery and take my work to a different, more unusual level. For example...
Forget-me-Not= True Love... Love hearts, Cherubs, Paris, Flowers, Chocolates, Lace, Marraige.

ButterCup= Riches....Bank Notes, Coins, Gold, Treasure.

Daisy= Patience...Clocks, Egg Timers, Pocket Watches, Clock Hands, Roman Numerals.

Thistle= Nobility...Regal, Crowns, The Queen, Ruby Red.

Thyme= Thriftiness....Make Do and Mend, Patches, Stitching back together, Money, Tight Fisted

Magnolia= Love of Nature....Animals and Flowers in harmony, love hearts, Intertwinning.

Lavender= Love at First Sight....Eyes, Monacles, Love Hearts, Cherubs, People, Holding Hands.

No comments: